Q. Why is my cylindrical power changing so rapidly?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Published on Nov 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

I am 25 years old and I use spectacles from the last three years. Before that, my eyes were fine. In the last two years, it is deteriorating fast and the cylindrical eyesight varies much. Initially, it was - 0.5, but after one year it became - 1.5 and now it is 2.5. Why is my cylindrical eyesight changing? Is this serious? Please help me cure this. I am very much stressed.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• An increase in the cylindrical error at this age is uncommon.
  • There are two possibilities:
  1. Your cornea is weak and changing its shape which is known as keratoconus. But, keratoconus does not appear in this age. It is basically a disease in children. There is a possibility of a condition known as keratoglobus, which also has to be ruled out. Tell me, do you have very flexible joints or does your skin stretch more than usual? Can you touch your index finger back to your wrist? If you have any of these signs, then the possibility of keratoconus or keratoglobus increases.
  2. The shape of your intraocular lens is changing.
  • For diagnosing both these conditions, you have to get a Pentacam aka scheimpflug imaging. Only after that, one can reach a conclusion and proceed further.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Glaucoma - an Overview of Causes, Types and Treatment

Article Overview: Most people know glaucoma as a disease associated with high intraocular pressure that is pressure in the eye. I have explained in detail about glaucoma, its causes, types, symptoms, investigations and treatment in detail in this article. Read Article

Dr. David J Mathew
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is an optic neuropathy, which is a disease of the optic nerve that generally progresses over time. The optic nerve connects the eye to the brain. The optic nerve damage due to glaucoma is evident in the optic nerve head, the place where the optic nerve is connected to the back of the eye. D...  Read Article

What do my eye reports reveal and what can be the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,I want to discuss my reports with the ophthalmologist. I have uploaded all the copies.  Read Full »

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »