Q. Is it advisable to undergo super Lasik surgery in a 37-year-old person?

Dr. Souhad

I am planning to undergo vision correction surgery. I am 37 years old, female, single. My ophthalmologist informed me that I have astigmatism. I am short sighted. My doctor suggested of a super Lasik surgery. Can you please advise if I should go ahead with this surgery?

Secondly, what would be the side effects? And the recovering period. The doctor did mention I have a thick cornea and I will recover the same day. But I am not very confident and require your second opinion.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

It is hard to advise you fully not knowing the full refractive status of your eyes and seeing the keratotopgraphy report that you underwent already and must have a report of it, you could upload it here for better evaluation.

However, you have to understand that a human eye starts changing its refraction after the age of 40 and will continue to change every five years after that. So you will enjoy the result of this operation for a maximum of five years and then you will start wearing spectacles for near so keep that in mind.

The second issue that you might face a new condition, that is if you are not suffering from it before the operation, and that is dry eye for which you still need to use a lubricant at least four times daily for the rest of your life. In summary, the choice is upto you of course but at such an age, I would not advise. If you would like a more decisive advice, please upload the reports.

| 

Does my baby have squint eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, The query is regarding my 6.5 months old baby girl. She has been seen by two pediatric ophthalmologists. The first one examined her eyes using a Plusoptix vision screener and assured us that everything was normal based on the testing results. He assured us that there was no strabismus....  Read Full »

Exotropia squint in the right eye, Is LASIK and squint surgery Recommended?

Query: Hello doctor,I have an exotropia squint in my right eye from the last 10 to 12 years. Presently I have a very low vision in that eye and near and far vision is blurry. I consulted an ophthalmologist and he recommended a LASIK surgery and after that a squint correction surgery a month later. Should...  Read Full »

I have myopia. What can I do to reduce power and quit glasses completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old boy and I have myopia (2.5 approximately in both the eyes) and I am wearing glasses since two and a half years. Now, I am thinking to quit glasses. What best can I do to reduce the power and quit glasses completely?  Read Full »