Q. Why am I not suitable for LASIK?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

I have an eye power of +8.5 in both eyes. I want to go for LASIK. But, in the hospital, they said that I am not suitable for LASIK. Please explain why they said so.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through the data posted.

• There will be certain factors that you should fulfill for eligibility to get LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis). A few are given below.
  • Your eyesight has to be stable for 2 years. It means your point should not change.
  • Age should be more than 20 years.
  • The most important is corneal endothelial thickness. If the cornea endothelial thickness is less we cannot perform LASIK.
  • Kindly tell me the reason for rejection, so that I can explain you more.

Revert back with the information to a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

My corneal thickness is 492 and 497 microns. They said that I am having a high plus power and so LASIK is not suitable for me. I want to know is there any advanced LASIK available. Please suggest.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through your query.

• For plus power sight, we can do LASIK safely till +6 power and that too after 35 years of age.
  • For power more than +6, there may be a risk of complications and most of the people were unhappy with the treatment.

For further doubts consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Should I stop weight training after laser eye surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been doing weight training for six months but recently my eye specialist told me to not lift heavy weights because I had laser treatment for retinal holes three years ago. So, should I stop weight training completely or should I drop the weights? Currently, I am doing deadlifts a...  Read Full »

What do these vision screening numbers mean?

Query: Hello doctor, What does this vision screening mean? OD +0.75 +1.75 -200 @ 156 degrees. OS +2.75 +3.50 -100 @ 4 degrees.  Read Full »

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now