Q. I had an echo and it shows LV hypertrophy of 1. 22. Is this serious?

Dr. Salam Salloum

I am a 59-year-male. I had an echo, and all results are normal except LV hypertrophy was 1.22 a little out of range. My BP is 117/77 mmHg, and presently I am not on any medication. I do exercise every day. My cardiologist said to take an echo again in two years. Is this serious?

#

This mild LVH (left ventricle hypertrophy) is not of concern. Sometimes the echo could miss read the wall thickness. It is fine to repeat it in 1-2 years for reassurance. You could have a cardiac MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), which is much better in assessing the heart's walls thickness and function.

Do you think I should go on a Mediterranean diet?

#

Mediterranean diet showed benefits in lowering cholesterol, better BP (blood pressure) and blood sugar control.

|