Q. Is it possible to treat AVN without hip replacement?

Dr. Anuj Gupta
Published on Jun 11, 2019

I am a 31-year-old. I have AVN stage 3 in right hip and stage 2 in the left hip. This is due to the use of steroids. I have done this MRI before two months. Many doctors told me to go for total hip replacement. Today I had an X-ray, and the doctor told me no collapse is done yet and suggest me to go for core decompression and Osteofos 70 mg daily.

1. I want to know, is it possible to treat it without hip replacement?

2. Will core decompression help in my case?

3. Is Pamidronate injection helpful in my case?

4. Any medicine which can stop or delay the progression?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

The decision to treat conservatively or surgically depends on clinical symptoms. You have not mentioned anything about your symptoms. How much pain do you have? Is it bearable or unbearable? How much distance are you able to walk without pain? Are you ready to perform your activities of daily living comfortably? What do you do?

| 

Previously I had pain in walking but then (2.5 months earlier) I took three Pamidronate injection in three days. And then I was able to walk around 1 km without pain. Now from two to three days, pain starts again when I walk.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

There are two things, one is your joint mobility, and other is your pain. If you have a problem because of a decrease in joint mobility, the best is a hip replacement. If pain is bothering you more, then go for core decompression. Anyway you have to get it replaced one day. The idea is to buy as much time as possible before replacement.

| 

Why does my mother-in-law refuse to walk even with help?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is 93 years old and had her hip replacement done before five years. She could walk after that, but we have kept a lady to be with her for 24 hours a day and 365 days a year after the operation. She does not have diabetes or has any heart condition. She takes one tablet of...  Read Full »

Can problem in the hip cause knee pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have stiffness and pain in thighs and knees for more than a year. I cannot sit properly and stand up instantly. I am having problem in each and every activity involving legs. I have reduced mobility and flexibility of legs. My report shows AVN stage 3 of hip joint, f...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now