Q. Is it possible to treat AVN without hip replacement?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I am a 31-year-old. I have AVN stage 3 in right hip and stage 2 in the left hip. This is due to the use of steroids. I have done this MRI before two months. Many doctors told me to go for total hip replacement. Today I had an X-ray, and the doctor told me no collapse is done yet and suggest me to go for core decompression and Osteofos 70 mg daily.

1. I want to know, is it possible to treat it without hip replacement?

2. Will core decompression help in my case?

3. Is Pamidronate injection helpful in my case?

4. Any medicine which can stop or delay the progression?

#

The decision to treat conservatively or surgically depends on clinical symptoms. You have not mentioned anything about your symptoms. How much pain do you have? Is it bearable or unbearable? How much distance are you able to walk without pain? Are you ready to perform your activities of daily living comfortably? What do you do?

Previously I had pain in walking but then (2.5 months earlier) I took three Pamidronate injection in three days. And then I was able to walk around 1 km without pain. Now from two to three days, pain starts again when I walk.

#

There are two things, one is your joint mobility, and other is your pain. If you have a problem because of a decrease in joint mobility, the best is a hip replacement. If pain is bothering you more, then go for core decompression. Anyway you have to get it replaced one day. The idea is to buy as much time as possible before replacement.

|