Q. What does leg pain and larger clumps of fat around knees and joints mean?

Dr. Tanvi Mayur Patel

My wife aged 55 years is suffering from arthritis I believe. She has leg pain for the past five years. She has larger clumps of fat around knees and joints and looks heavily obsessive. The recent health checkup results say that she is vitamin D deficient (6.6 nl/ml) and B12 deficient (226 pg/ml). Other values are well within the ranges. One of my friends in the medical field suggested consulting an endocrinologist.

#

I saw her report and photos both (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Her weight has to be reduced which can be done through some exercise. Try doing that as much as she can. Her body weight is causing main problems.

For her pain, she can take tablet Etoshine 60 mg once in a day. If more severe then twice a day after meal. Her HbA1c is 6.5 percent which makes her a diabetic. Start tablet Gluconorm SR 500 mg (Metformin) after dinner daily. This will also help her in losing the marginal amount of weight (side effect could be nausea vomiting, some abdominal discomfort or loose motion). If this developed do not worry it will settle in a weeks time. This medicine may make her reduce her appetite so do not worry on that as well.

Her cholesterol is high too. Start tablet Rosuvas (Rosuvastatin) 5 mg after dinner daily. For her Vitamin D deficiency, tablet Tayo 60k (60000 units) once a week for eight weeks.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thanks for your counseling.

My wife cares for her family very much and any small issue will disturb her lot in the recent years. Children's study, their cereer, marriage, birth of grand sons and daughters have put her in great anxiety. Many times she looks depressed. She is not sleeping well. In the night for the last three years, she gets sleep only by 3 AM and gets up by 7 AM. She became obsessive only in the last three years. So we felt it is due to hormone imbalances and hence we came to you. Your recommendations are pain relievers and for sugar monitoring. Can you please recommend medications for her cure and sleep.

#

You can give her tablet Restyl (Alprazolam) 0.5 once at bedtime for 15 days and tablet Serta (Sertraline) 50 mg once in the night after dinner.

|