iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersUrologyless urine outputWhy does the urge to urinate persist with low urine volume?

I have an urge to urinate but my urine volume is low. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At August 28, 2020
Reviewed AtJuly 28, 2023

Patient's Query

I have the urge (not frequent) to urinate when there is very little urine in my bladder. Just a couple of drops. And urine volume for 24 hours period is very low. I do not have a blockage. This started when I was put on Venlafaxine. No connection was made to the medicine. After a few years, I stopped the medicine, but this problem still persists. What would account for the overall low volume?

Frequency and urgency of urine are common in middle-aged women and is referred to as bladder overactivity. But other causative factors should be excluded like urinary tract infection and small capacity as bladder or bladder outlet obstruction. Regarding a small amount of urine is oliguria, which I do not think you have it as 24 hours urine, in that case it is less than 400 ml. You can quantify your 24 hours urine and see if it is less than 400 ml. Small capacity bladder is not really common and associated with chronic inflammation or infections or radiation therapy, which is excluded in your case other thing is bladder outlet obstruction which is also not in you as you pass urine and empty completely your bladder efficiently. Urinary tract infection needs to be excluded by doing urine analysis and culture. Overactive bladder is to be diagnosed only if you do not have a urinary infection. Treatment for overactive bladder can be by tablet Tolterodine 4 mg once daily to be continued. Please follow up with your one test and update me about the medication soonest as I might change it if it is not suitable.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil
Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Urology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Urology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy