Q. What could be done to cure UTI causing difficulty in urination?

Dr. Devendra

I am newly married for 25 days. 10 days ago, I had UTI with burning sensation while urinating for which I was prescribed Augmentin 625 and Cital syrup. I took medicine for three days and had some relief. Then three days back suddenly I was not able to urinate at all. My bladder was full but I was not able to dispense urine. I visited the doctor. They emptied my bladder using Foleys and 500 ml was emptied. I was prescribed:

1. Tablet Oflox 400 mg once daily.

2. Tablet Flotral (Alfuzosin) 10 mg once daily.

3. Tablet Urispas (Flavoxate) thrice daily.

4. Cranbe (Cranberry) capsule 300 mg twice daily.

I was advised a urine culture and ultrasound KUB. Reports are attached.

Now I am able to urinate but have to apply all my force. I feel my bladder is full then I go and sit for 10 minutes but urine does not come till I apply full force. It is very painful for me. I am not able to pee normally for the last five days. What has happened to me? And how to return to normalcy?

#

Urinary infection is common in young married women. You had UTI and it was treated with antibiotics, causing no growth on culture. Only thing of note is draining 400 ml through a catheter, usually, retention is not common. You should not hold urine for long. Never postpone urine for more than three hours. Do you have associated constipation? How many times you get up at night to void, do you feel an urge to pass urine? Was there straining to void before this UTI episode or passing urine was effortless? Any fever?

From the last three days, little constipation is there. In night around two times, I go to void. I feel the urge to pass urine. Straining issue is from the last four days only, before that passing urine was effortless. No fever. Main problem is that I have to exert full force to pass urine.

#

Recent USG shows that you are emptying the bladder completely (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Treatment mentioned by you is fine. Continue for three days. Then we will discuss it again. This can be due to inflammation-induced due to infection causing a sense of incomplete voiding. The frequency of urination decreases the voided volume requiring you to push to pass the small amount of urine.

|