Q. Is it normal to have decreased urine in 2 months old baby?

Dr. Payas Joshi

I am having two months old baby. Since two days I am observing that his diapers are not wet and heavy as they used to be. So I checked his urine output by laying him down without a diaper for five hours and fed him twice with two and a half hours gap between each feed. He peed thrice after the first feed with 20 minutes gap and he did not pee until he had his second feed. After the second feed, he peed thrice with 20 to 30 minutes gap.

Recently, I have reduced his feeding amount on pediatrician advice as he was vomiting. I used to feed him up to 100 ml with 3 to 4 hours gap and now I am feeding him 60 to 70 ml with 2.5 hours gap. I am exclusively expressing milk and feeding through the bottle and sometimes on formula. He is having motion 3 to 4 times per day. Please advise me if this is normal since I feel that his urine has decreased compared to previously. His weight is 4.5 kg checked 20 days before.

#

I understand your concern for your baby. Your baby should urinate 6 to 8 times per day. As you have told that the baby peed after feeds, this seems absolutely normal. You may just keep a track on total 24 hours urine. Should be 6 to 8 times in a day. Reducing feed amount is fine but feed every 2 to 3 hourly and on-demand feeding.

Why are you not breastfeeding? Is there any problem? If it is there, it should be addressed. The bottle feeds increase the risk of infection. The stools 3 to 4 times is normal. Weight is 4.5 kg, it is a good weight but need to know the birth weight. Then only would be able to know whether adequate weight gain is there or not. And also the present weight, if you know.

|