Q. Why Levothyroxine and Armour Thyroid are causing side effects?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Levothyroxine and Armour Thyroid both cause awful side effects for me. What can be done now? I cannot tolerate either of them.

Do you have a question on Levothyroxine or Hypothyroidism?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

If you are taking treatment for hypothyroidism, it is to see that you get the right dose. But whether you are being over replaced or under replaced should be determined by periodic thyroid function test, if a single hormone, then TSH which shows amplified suppression and elevation of both T4 and T3 in hyper and hypothyroidism (here I presume, as you are being replaced, you initially were diagnosed as primary hypothyroidism, which is the most prevalent thyroid disorder).

Serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone from the pituitary) should be done four to six weeks to adjust the dose till the appropriate treatment dose has been settled (TSH normal for a few follow ups at a particular dose), and then, every six months to one year.

Manufactured proprietary Levothyroxine tablets are more comfortable to change the dose with since they have exact dosage preparations, 25, 50, 100 or 150 micrograms, and they and they have only Levothyroxine (T4), no rapidly acting T3. So, sudden alteration of biology is unlikely. The dose has to be adjusted by 25 to 50 micrograms each time. Carefully, half of that change for adjustment in heart disease and the elderly.Some essential clues (better confirm by TSH):under replacement (hypothyroidism)- Weight gain, coarse and dry skin, slow heart rate, constipation. Over replacement (hyperthyroidism)- Weight loss, sweaty warm skin, palpitations, fast heart rate (tachyarrhythmia AF and sometimes heart failure), hyper defecation (increased number of stools) and sometimes diarrhea.

You did tell your age. If you are approaching menopausal age you may experience similar symptoms due to estrogen deficiency but though worth paying attention, it is less likely because your symptoms are related to taking medicine.

My bp is 100/60 and TSH level is 0.022, I am feeling alone and depressed. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor,I have 100/60 blood pressure, and I feel less active. My TSH level is 0.022, and I am feeling alone and depressed, but I am getting sleep. Please help.  Read Full >>
Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ilciniq.com. A blood pressure of 100/60 is normal for a woman in your age group. However, if you are feeling lightheaded upon standing, then you need evaluation to see if your blood pressure drops when you stand up. Your blood counts and urinalysis are normal. Your thyroid hormon...  Read Full

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full >>
Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you.¬†Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively. Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the treatment. I ho...  Read Full

Are there any foods to be avoided while on Levothyroxine?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a sudden weight gain. Are there any foods that should be avoided either at certain times of the day or all together while taking Levothyroxine to treat an underactive thyroid?  Read Full >>
Dr. Tanvi Mayur Patel
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Avoid raw cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, soy and soy products like soy sauce, soy milk, tofu, strawberry, walnut, spinach, and brussel sprouts. Do not take any meals or drink except plain water for atleast 45 minutes after taking medication. Avoid taking acidity-cau...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now