Q. I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2019

While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medicine, and my foot has been elevated. When I am trying to walk, I feel a sharp pain in the toe I injured. Putting weight on my foot is hard. I guess that it might be broken or sprained. Kindly give some advice.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It is probably a sprain of ligaments. A break or fracture is less common from your description. Also, the fracture would have caused severe pain even at rest and not just on using the foot.
  • I think that you can continue using ice, give rest to the foot as much as possible and have anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen 400 or Naproxen 500 for pain in whenever needed basis along with antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day.
  • I suggest you use Diclofenac spray for local application and calcium supplements like tablet Shelcal HD twice a day for a week. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • If there is no response in pain, then you can get one x-ray of the foot anterior and oblique view and can upload it or get it reviewed by your local doctor.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|