Q. I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Published on Mar 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2019

While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medicine, and my foot has been elevated. When I am trying to walk, I feel a sharp pain in the toe I injured. Putting weight on my foot is hard. I guess that it might be broken or sprained. Kindly give some advice.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It is probably a sprain of ligaments. A break or fracture is less common from your description. Also, the fracture would have caused severe pain even at rest and not just on using the foot.
  • I think that you can continue using ice, give rest to the foot as much as possible and have anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen 400 or Naproxen 500 for pain in whenever needed basis along with antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day.
  • I suggest you use Diclofenac spray for local application and calcium supplements like tablet Shelcal HD twice a day for a week. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • If there is no response in pain, then you can get one x-ray of the foot anterior and oblique view and can upload it or get it reviewed by your local doctor.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why am I having constipation with hard stools and frequent urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old, female. I am suffering from asthma, rhinitis allergy, IBS, ulcerative colitis and osteoporosis, and anemia. My last blood report was of 7.9 hemoglobin. I feel constantly tired and exhausted plus new problem has started that each and every bone pains all the time mos...  Read Full »

Why does my wife have severe back pain after normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife delivered a baby boy last month, which was a normal delivery. Whenever she moves, the muscles on the upper right ribs below the breast gets pulled. Also, she has a severe lower back ache, which is unbearable. Can you please suggest some medicines for it? For now, we are puttin...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »