Q. I have a cluster of blisters near my lips with negative MRSA. What is that?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Can you tell me if a cluster of blisters that went from deflated in the center to smaller clusters, to ulcers healing in three days sounds more like a cold sore or impetigo? It appeared next to a picked pimple by where I have had cold sores before, but this was a cluster of tiny blisters not a big one like normal and on my face not lip, just lip adjacent next to where my cold sores usually are. I was around someone with MRSA a few months back. So I am concerned, though I ordered a lab test to detect carriers and it came back that I am not positive for any staphylococcus or MRSA. Please help.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

I went through your history and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have developed herpes labialis also known as cold sore. Herpes labialis is a kind of viral infection with HSV (herpes simplex virus) virus. It is not a bacterial infection or impetigo.

Do not worry it will resolve with medicine in five days but it has a tendency to recur. If you get frequent recurrences like more than six episodes in one year, then we might need to start you on long term antiviral tablets to suppress it.

Currently, you just need episodic treatment. Take tablet Acyclovir 400 mg three times daily for five days, Sodium fusidate cream apply twice daily on blisters for seven days to prevent secondary infection on it. Drink plenty of water while on this tablet.

| 

So now last night it scabbed to this yellow color. Is that normal for herpes?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, this is normal for herpes. It starts as tiny blisters then turn into scab and yellow tiny erosion like this. Start taking medicine and do apply Sodium fusidate cream to prevent secondary infection on it. Do not worry it will resolve.

|