Q. Can I take Acyclovir until I find Valcivir?

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel
Published on Mar 13, 2018

Tablet containing Acyclovir 200 mg is only available here. I have arranged to receive tablet Valcivir 1000 mg, but it will take a week to reach here. Kindly advise.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

Acyclovir can be taken as 800 mg five times daily.

Usually, Acyclovir is a dispersible tablet. Place four tablets in a glass of water and then you can drink the water once the tablets dissolve. Repeat this five times daily for five days.

After a week, there is no point in taking the medications.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Dear doctor,

Thanks for your prompt response. Actually, today is the eighth day that the eruptions appeared. I have attached today's photos for your perusal. Please advise me can I take the Acyclovir 200 mg as advised by you (800 mg five times a day) as already one week is over? Can I take bath? I have no fever, no fresh eruptions. I am working in the remotest part of the world. Can I use Acyclovir cream if I get one? Regards.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

#

I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You can still take the tablet for five days as instructed earlier. This will reduce the complications.

Your lesions are still looking active. So, it is better to take the medications. Acyclovir cream is of no use.

Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows: Cannot raise left eyebrow. Cannot tighten left nostril. Cannot move lips (left side). Left eye constantly w...  Read Full »

Please help with the wart-like growth on my foreskin.

Query: Hi doctor, I had wart-like growth on my foreskin. I consulted a doctor, who asked me to get a circumcision done. So I got the circumcision done. The biopsy result showed that they were viral warts (condyloma acuminatum), and the doctor gave me tablet Valtoval for a month. After going through the int...  Read Full »

What is Zovirax used for?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years back, I had fever and headache. From then I am having gait and muscle pains. After many tests, doctor suggested EBV test. Results are IgG positive and IgM came negative and then gave Zovirax 800. I am shocked as it is a tablet for HIV. Does my EBV report say that I have HIV...  Read Full »

Ask a Cosmetologist Now