Q. Can I take Acyclovir until I find Valcivir?

Dr. Kumaresan Muthuvel
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2022

Tablet containing Acyclovir 200 mg is only available here. I have arranged to receive tablet Valcivir 1000 mg, but it will take a week to reach here.

Kindly advise.

#

Acyclovir can be taken as 800 mg five times daily.

Usually, Acyclovir is a dispersible tablet. Place four tablets in a glass of water and then you can drink the water once the tablets dissolve. Repeat this five times daily for five days.

After a week, there is no point in taking the medications.

Dear doctor,

Thanks for your prompt response. Actually, today is the eighth day that the eruptions appeared. I have attached today's photos for your perusal. Please advise me can I take the Acyclovir 200 mg as advised by you (800 mg five times a day) as already one week is over? Can I take bath? I have no fever, no fresh eruptions. I am working in the remotest part of the world. Can I use Acyclovir cream if I get one?

#

I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You can still take the tablet for five days as instructed earlier. This will reduce the complications.

Your lesions are still looking active. So, it is better to take the medications. Acyclovir cream is of no use.

|