Q. Can a person travel while on Acyclovir for shingles?

Published on May 22, 2019

I am a patient, age 30, with Crohn’s disease. I take Humira and recently had a flare up, thus started a round of Prednisone to get through the flare-up. The combination of Humira and Prednisone has resulted in shingles. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Acyclovir. I was six days into the shingles before realizing I needed to see a dermatologist. I have been on Acyclovir for two days and have not seen the shingles spread. Can I go for a trip?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post. Shingles involve a single dermatome. So, it is unlikely going to spread and will heal completely in two weeks. Prednisolone is a steroid and can cause reactivation of Shingles. So you need to take Acyclovir at least for one week and continue Prednisolone and Humira (Adalimumab) until your IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) goes in remission. Then you can slowly decrease the dose of Prednisolone and finally take it off. You can go on a trip.

I have pain in the penis after frequent sex. Please suggest medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I am married since six years. I went abroad for a project for two months. There were no sexual relations in these two months. I just came back from the project and am having sex twice a day for the past three days. Now, I have a slight pain in the tip and ba...  Read Full »

Are there any issues if I take a shingles vaccination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old female. I have been getting shingles since I was 6 years old. Until high school, I would get it once a year around the same time. Then, I began getting it twice a year. As I got older, I started getting multiple outbreaks in a year. I have had shingles for 27 ye...  Read Full »