Q. What are the symptoms of listeria?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

I am 33 weeks pregnant now. I had slight fever and muscle aches recently. I am scared about listeria while pregnant. Could you please tell me the symptoms of listeria? Also if it is listeria, how long will it take to affect the baby? I need some advice about listeria please.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Symptoms of mild listeriosis include fever, muscle ache, nausea and diarrhea. Rarely in severe cases, there is meningitis.
  • You should have a history of taking infected raw milk, cheese, vegetables or meat.
  • You should proceed to your doctor as you need blood tests if you suspect you are having this along with a history of exposure.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

How do I know if I have listeria or toxoplasmosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female and currently 37 weeks pregnant. This evening I ate a burger that was pink on the inside. I am worried about getting listeria or toxoplasmosis from it. I will be scheduled for a C-section around 11 to 13 days from now and I am wondering what are the odds of p...  Read Full »

Do mild cramps, bleeding and lower back pain indicate miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and according to LMP, I am 9 weeks and 6 days pregnant now. I had three previous miscarriages (two chemical pregnancies and one at 5-6 weeks). This pregnancy has been really well until a few days ago. Last week I had an ultrasound and the heart rate was 173. That night,...  Read Full »