Q. Is it possible to get circumcision done under local anesthesia?

Dr. Devendra

My urologists have recommended circumcision to improve my symptoms and to be able to look inside the urethra, etc., and wants to perform the procedure under general anesthesia. Can this also be done under local or epidural instead, as I am having anxiety about the general method? Am I overreacting, maybe to a common method? Currently, I am taking Flomax once a day.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

Regarding the type of anesthesia for circumcision and cystoscopy, it can be done under local anesthesia or spinal or epidural anesthesia or general anesthesia. Local has the following benefits of no risk related to anesthesia. The drawback is some discomfort but usually tolerable in a cooperative patient.

Spinal or epidural has the benefit of good analgesia, post-operative pain control for a few hours, reasonable safety. The drawback is may need to stay in the hospital longer to avoid a post-spinal headache. For cardiac patients not so safe.

General anesthesia, the benefit is it can be tailored to a short procedure. Relatively safe in cardiac patients. The drawback is higher cost, inherent risk for short neck or asthmatic patients. So anesthesia has to be tailored or individualized after discussion with your doctor.

| 

Is it safer to take Zoloft after inguinal hernia operation under general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am about to have an open inguinal hernia operation after 15 days. I have been having terrible anxiety leading up to it. I went to my PCP today and informed him of this. He prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft for me. I have read that it takes a month for Zoloft to work. Also, I have read that Z...  Read Full »

Can I undergo surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma under local anesthesia?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 60 year old healthy female with medically controlled hypertension. I have Behcet’s disease, though mostly under control. I have had various tropical diseases. I also had hepatitis A at childhood, and TB meningitis. I also have scoliosis.  I have been diagnosed BCC (Basal...  Read Full »

I drank cold drinks before going to my dentist. Could it prevent my tooth from getting numb?

Query: Hi doctor, I broke a tooth, so I went to the dentist, and I was very upfront about not having a root canal treatment. I preferred to get it extracted rather. She numbed my tooth and said she was going to fix it. After she had finished, she said I was going to need a root canal treatment. Now my too...  Read Full »