Q. Is it possible to get circumcision done under local anesthesia?

Dr. Devendra

My urologists have recommended circumcision to improve my symptoms and to be able to look inside the urethra, etc., and wants to perform the procedure under general anesthesia. Can this also be done under local or epidural instead, as I am having anxiety about the general method? Am I overreacting, maybe to a common method? Currently, I am taking Flomax once a day.

#

Regarding the type of anesthesia for circumcision and cystoscopy, it can be done under local anesthesia or spinal or epidural anesthesia or general anesthesia. Local has the following benefits of no risk related to anesthesia. The drawback is some discomfort but usually tolerable in a cooperative patient.

Spinal or epidural has the benefit of good analgesia, post-operative pain control for a few hours, reasonable safety. The drawback is may need to stay in the hospital longer to avoid a post-spinal headache. For cardiac patients not so safe.

General anesthesia, the benefit is it can be tailored to a short procedure. Relatively safe in cardiac patients. The drawback is higher cost, inherent risk for short neck or asthmatic patients. So anesthesia has to be tailored or individualized after discussion with your doctor.

|