Is my preference for solitude a mental health concern at 27?

Q. Is preferring solitude and enjoying loneliness a potential mental health issue?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am a 27-year-old woman, currently not married, and I do not have any significant health issues. I live with my parents, and I have observed that many girls my age are highly social and enjoy mingling with others. In contrast, I find solace in being alone and savoring my own company. I also desire to have a fulfilling social life with a select few friends and family members whom I am extremely comfortable with. My question is, could this preference for solitude and enjoying loneliness be considered an issue or a potential mental health concern? Is it always necessary to be surrounded by a large number of people. Please clarify.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Based on the information provided, it is possible that you have an introverted personality. This might explain your preference for solitude and your inclination to enjoy your own company over large social gatherings. It is important to recognize that being introverted is not a mental health issue; it is a natural aspect of one's personality. Introverts often find solace in quieter, more intimate settings and tend to have a smaller circle of close friends. But, it is necessary to address any feelings of low confidence or an inferiority complex that may arise from your introverted nature.

To build your confidence and overall well-being, I suggest you consider the following healthy guidelines:

1. Incorporate daily exercise, such as a 30-45 minute walk, to promote physical and mental well-being.
  2. Practice daily meditation for 20 minutes. Focus on your breathing without trying to suppress your thoughts.
  3. Maintain a balanced, healthy diet by consuming home-cooked meals and reducing junk food intake.
  4. Stay adequately hydrated by drinking enough water.
  5. Dedicate quality time to connect with your friends and family regularly, even if it means video calls when you are not living with them.
  6. Engage in creative hobbies, such as reading, journaling, painting, drawing, and learning new skills or languages, which can boost self-esteem and personal growth.
  7. Prioritize 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night for overall well-being.
  8. Avoid tobacco, alcohol, or substance abuse, as they can negatively impact mental health.

Embrace and accept your introverted nature and focus on personal growth and self-confidence. Live your life on your terms and be bold and confident in your choices. I hope this information helps you gain a better understanding of your personality.

If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

|