Q. My baby is passing green stools with mucus and there is no relief even after medication. Why?

Dr. Sirisha

My baby is 2 years old and weighs about 11.7 kg. Baby is frequently passing green stools with blood spots and mucus. We gave Metronidazole and Norfloxacin, Reflora-R, Biz-Pro, Zinconia for the last four days. But there is no relief. Please help.

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

This is dysentery by history.

1) It will take some more time to bring the symptoms down.

2) You can go for a stool culture to find out the organism responsible for it. That would give useful information as to which medicines would be effective.

3) Look for an alternative diagnosis, but get an ultrasound abdomen to look for any obstruction or problem to the intestines. It is important to rule out this important condition which will change the management completely.

The medicines which have been prescribed are good and apt, but sometimes it is a matter of time.

See that your child does not get dehydrated. Give him adequate fluids.

| 

Is there any ayurvedic treatment for blood in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, who weighs 85 kg, and I am 5.11 feet tall. I had a problem with blood in stool a year ago, which got cured after I took medicines. But nowdays, I have been seeing blood in my stool again. I do not have any problem like itching, pain, etc. I feel it very diffic...  Read Full »

My 3.6 year old daughter has stomach pain and loose stools. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 3.6 years old daughter, who weighs 10.5 kg. She is very thin and not a foodie. She is hyperactive when she is well. Sometimes, she complains of pain in the abdomen. It is going on from 1 to 2 months. The doctor advised getting an ultrasonography. She has been complaining o...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have green stool a day after colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy and today I had a bowel movement that was bright green. Should I contact the doctor who performed the procedure or is this normal? I am a 32-year-old female.  Read Full »