Q. Though my gum is healthy, I feel my teeth are loose. Please clarify.

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

I am 21 years old. It feels like my front six teeth are clicking. I saw a bit of blood whilst brushing my teeth, so flossed more rigorous than usual and now I feel like they are moving. My gums look healthy and I swilled with salt water as it is supposed to be good for healing. 7 years ago, this happened once when I got my braces off and the orthodontist told me that my teeth are settling. I do have a wisdom tooth coming out. Now, flossing seems to stabilize them and they only wobble after I eat. My dentist has previously said that my gums are healthy.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• You should keep using salt water gargle as much as possible.
  • Some mobility is common for a person who had braces in the past. Do not floss too much or too deep.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

This seems really bizarre. My wisdom tooth has come through since three months, so it just seems weird it would start affecting other teeth more now. It started all at once and has not stopped after flossing. If I push my tongue against them, they feel like they move, but I cannot see it. Will periodontal disease present with unhealthy and receding gums? Although, I do not have unhealthy gums, I have terrified myself that they are going to fall out.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• If you cannot see the mobility, but only feel it, then usually we dentist will not take it as an emergency as such mobility can occur for a few days to weeks depending upon our hormonal condition or wisdom tooth eruption or by periodontal disease.
  • Mobility in periodontal disease will be of a higher degree, which is visible to the naked eye.
  • Check whether there are some calculus deposits. If yes, then get them cleaned.
  • You should continue with the salt water gargle. Also, use good remineralization toothpaste if available.
  • Teeth will never fall out so easily at this age, so do not worry about it. There is no such disease or condition where it will just fall off without any specific reason.
  • Did you have any history of a fall or accident before, which might have caused injury to teeth?

Revert back with the answer to the above question to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

No, I have not had any falls, which might have caused this issue. My teeth had no mobility before flossing more thoroughly.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• You do not have to worry at all. Just observe for a week more whether there is any increase in mobility, which I am confident that there would not be.
  • You can avoid flossing if you think it is aggravating the problem.
  • Use salt water at least three times a day for a week.
  • Are you having your monthly periods currently? Hormonal changes can cause such temporary mobility.
  • I am sure that it will go away in a week's time. Take care.

Revert back after a week to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

You have been very reassuring. I just came off contraception. My teeth are not moving always. They move after eating and sometimes, if I catch my tongue against them. They first started moving because of flossing I think, but now they seem to get better with flossing.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

I could see the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is absolutely no problem with your teeth and your gums appear healthy. It was definitely caused due to hormonal changes.
  • It will go away on its own within two to three days. Keep a healthy diet and mild flossing.

Thank you so much doctor,

You have been so reassuring. Thank you for your patience. It is very kind of you. Have a good day.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

You are welcome and I am glad I could be of help to you. Spread the word if you are happy. Thank you.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Is it necessary to get wisdom teeth removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I have wisdom tooth. Is it necessary to remove it?  Read Full »

After getting my teeth cleaned, why do I still have inflammation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a teeth cleaning done, but the inflammation is still there. The dentist said that I need to get treated for a receding gum line through surgery. She said it was due to brushing hard and asked me to switch to a soft bristle toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste. I am also awaiting ...  Read Full »

Why are my periods delayed after taking the I-pill?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my periods 48 days before. I had an unprotected sex 40 days ago after which I took an I-pill. I had slight bleeding after one week for three to four days. I again had sex 11 days ago during which condom got ruptured. So, I again took an I-pill the same night. I have not got my p...  Read Full »