Q. Taking Losalex twice a day. Is it an excess dose for hypertension?

I know a patient who is having hypertension. The doctor has prescribed Losalife H in the morning and Losalex 50 in the night. Is this an excess dose or is it normal?

#

It depends entirely on the extent of BP (blood pressure) elevation. Usually, most of the patients become well on once-daily dosing. But in some patients, we need twice daily dosing. So often, once daily is enough. But if the BP is not getting controlled or there is too high elevation say more than 190 mmHg, then we can give twice daily dosing. So the best option, in this case, is monitoring the BP at home using electronic BP apparatus and have the dosing accordingly. Let me know the BP readings if available so that I can suggest the treatment. So overall, if it is a need, a twice-daily dose can be taken.

The BP reading is 100 to 180 mmHg, and it is getting varied. She had no problem before four months. She is having this problem for the past one month. Can I use Losar H instead of Losalex H and Losar 50 instead of Losalex 50?

#

She can use Losar (Losartan) instead of Losalex (Losartan). There is no issue in it. Our target for BP is 140/90 mmHg, and the lowest BP will be preferably above 110 mmHg for systolic. For systolic BP, our range is 110 to 140 mmHg. She should get her medicines optimized accordingly because both the readings are not out of range. First, note the BP readings and then get the medication optimized.

She should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, and high-calorie diet. Have a low salt diet and monitor your blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week. Follow them once or twice a week, and make a chart of it. We can optimize medicines according to these readings.

Do regular exercises like brisk walking, and jogging according to the capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Take lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, and avoid meat. It is better to get screened for the commonly associated problems like sugar, fasting lipid profile, ECG (electrocardiogram) and echo (echocardiogram).

|