Q. I am experiencing lower back and left hip pain with spasm after chiropractic manipulation. Why?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I am currently experiencing severe lower back and left hip pain and spasms. I have a history of a slight disk herniation at L5-S1 with no nerve impingement. I believe this flare-up began two weeks ago when I attended my first chiropractic visit. The pain became so severe, I broke down and went to a different chiropractor for possible help. The pain was so severe that I got nausea, sweat, and almost passed out in the waiting area. The pain was better since yesterday. The new chiropractor thinks my right hip was tilted forward, causing the muscles on the left to get spasm and be in pain. Please help.

#

I understand your concern and suggest to do the following.

Take analgesics, and muscle relaxants.

Apply hot packs, and Diclofenac gel locally where you feel any tenderness.

Either lie in bed or stand. Sit for short durations only, less than 20 minutes at a stretch and that too with your back supported.

I would advise against any manipulation by your chiropractor till your spasms subside though, you can have massages of the muscles in spasm. If all this fails to help in the next couple of weeks get a repeat MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) if there are new leg symptoms like numbness, weakness, or shooting pain below the knee.

|