Q. My doctor advised surgery for radiating low back pain. Is that right?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2020

I feel pain in my lower back. The pain is radiating to my left foot and left big toe. I have attached the result of my MRI. The doctor told me that I need an operation and medicines will not help me. But, I do not believe that my case is so bad. Can you check my report? I am working as a software engineer.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your doctor is right in saying that the medication has no role in the current situation.
  • Considering your age, I do not think physiotherapy as an option, although it can be used in the later part of life while avoiding surgery.
  • Having said this, if you doubt your doctor it will be better if you can post me the MRI itself rather than MRI report which is attached now.
  • It is possible that the doctor may not have interpreted the report correctly, leading to exaggeration of the problem. The availability of MRI will help me to identify the lesion in a true manner.

Revert back with the MRI images to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|