Q. I have constant lower back pain for many years. What can be the cause?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Published on Jun 04, 2017

I have seen many doctors regarding lower back problems since the past two years. I have had two courses of physiotherapy with no real improvement and cortisone injections, which also did not help. I have also had two CT scans and an MRI, and I have attached the reports. I am also prescribed Tramadol 50 mg and Celebrex 100 mg.

I first noticed lower back problems in my early 20's, when my work was heavy labouring. I continued this type of work till my 40's while also working in my current job as a career in an aged care facility. Over the years, I started to experience leg weakness and continued lower back pain and stiffness, which is worse when I get out of bed in the mornings or after long hours of walking and standing at work. Also in the mornings if I sneeze, it causes a severe and sharp pain in the lower back, so when this happens, I bend over with hands on my knees and brace for the sneeze. Several times a year, the pain and stiffness would become severe and after several days subside.

My lower back problems started to get worse earlier this year. And last month, the pain and stiffness became severe. The pain level would have been 10 out of 10, and I had problems getting out of bed and needed someone to help me get dressed or sometimes putting footwear on. It was difficult to get out of chairs or sit due to the pain and stiffness, and walking was very difficult, I also had great difficulty getting in and out of cars. The Tramadol I was taking had little impact on the pain. During this time, I continued to attempt short walks and do gardening and household chores. Then by about a few weeks back, the pain subsided within a few days back to the usual morning pain and stiffness, which I would rate about 4 or 5 out of 10. I have attached all my reports.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Looking at your symptoms and all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it makes me think that you need to be investigated by a rheumatologist or an immunologist for possible rheumatoid or other arthropathies. There is no evidence of significant neural compression in any of your scans.
  • The back pain, stiffness, difficulty getting out of the bed, and waxing and waning nature of your symptoms in the absence of neurological symptoms of radiculopathy indicate that there may be an underlying arthropathy such as rheumatoid or seronegative arthropathy.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full >>

Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the chances that you have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or are developing it, are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP,...  Read Full

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can happen due to nerve compression in the spine or below that. Also can be due to vitamin B12 and calcium deficiency. So you need to get investigated properly, with vitamin testing and MRI scan. Regards, This is only a second opinion platform. This professional...  Read Full

Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. C...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepti Verma
Fetal Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your question, and I understood your concerns.CT scan has strong radiations, and it is known to have adverse effects on the fetus. You should consult a gynecologist and decide further action.Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for furt...  Read Full