Q. Why is there a persistent low-grade fever in a 54-year-old female?

Dr. Mukherjee, Koushik

My mother is 54 years old and is facing persistent low-grade fever. She had it for almost a year and nothing was diagnosed from the tests and then suddenly it got fine. Now again she got a fever from some stomach infection and it has been 15 days that the fever is there between 99 to 100 degrees. What could be the possible reason?

#

Did your mother undergo urine culture sensitivity? Because many of the postmenopausal or perimenopausal women suffer from urinary tract infection that is chronic and drug-resistant due to urinary leak and urinary urgency. Low-grade fever can also be there due to chronic infections like tuberculosis. So, if a chest X-ray is not done, I suggest you do so. Lymphoma or lymphoid malignancy can often be missed as a differential diagnosis of low-grade fever. At last, some autoimmune diseases can present with a similar type of low-grade fever and diffuse musculoskeletal pain. If there is pain associated, get a blood test done for ANA (anti-nuclear antibody).

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|