Q. Why is there a persistent low-grade fever in a 54-year-old female?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

My mother is 54 years old and is facing persistent low-grade fever. She had it for almost a year and nothing was diagnosed from the tests and then suddenly it got fine. Now again she got a fever from some stomach infection and it has been 15 days that the fever is there between 99 to 100 degrees. What could be the possible reason?

Dr. Koushik Mukherjee

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Did your mother undergo urine culture sensitivity? Because many of the postmenopausal or perimenopausal women suffer from urinary tract infection that is chronic and drug-resistant due to urinary leak and urinary urgency. Low-grade fever can also be there due to chronic infections like tuberculosis. So, if a chest X-ray is not done, I suggest you do so. Lymphoma or lymphoid malignancy can often be missed as a differential diagnosis of low-grade fever. At last, some autoimmune diseases can present with a similar type of low-grade fever and diffuse musculoskeletal pain. If there is pain associated, get a blood test done for ANA (anti-nuclear antibody).

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Is vitamin D deficiency one of the reasons for psoriasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from psoriasis for the past 24 years. I have tried a lot of ointments already. I heard one of the reasons is lack of vitamin D. Is it true? I am 54 years old now.  Read Full »

What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma? What can cause NHL? Which age group is more commonly affected? Can NHL occur without any family history? Does all left supraclavicular (Virchow's node) node is associated with lymphoma? Can single small but persistent size of lymph node enough for NHL? Why m...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for Burkitt's lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My 60 year old uncle is diagnosed with Burkitt's lymphoma. His report says MYC-IGH fusion signal was detected in 45 % of the cells. The sample is positive for t(8;14). Could you please suggest whether it is curable and if it is curable then what is the best treatment?  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now