Q. Hemoglobin is very low, 5. 6 g/dL. How to raise the level?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
Published on Nov 15, 2018

My father-in-law has a hemoglobin of 5.6 g/dL. What is the cause? Please suggest a treatment.

#

There are multiple reasons for having low hemoglobin. It can be due to nutritional deficiency or chronic blood loss. I recommend seeing a gastroenterologist. He needs fecal occult blood testing and colonoscopy to rule out occult bleeding. Also, give him two units of blood. HB (hemoglobin) less than 7 g/dL is dangerous. Give him iron and vitamin supplements. He can take Ferrous sulfate 325 mg one tablet three times daily and tablet Iberet-Folic-500 (Folic acid with Vitamin C) one tablet two times daily.

My baby has white spots on her teeth. Is there anything to be done?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 11 months old and started having her upper teeth when she was 9 months old. And I noticed she has white spots along the gumline and some on the middle. I took a photo and showed it to a dentist here and she said its hypocalcified enamel. My question is, is it reversible? W...  Read Full »

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

Query: Hi doctor, My 25-OH vitamin D total CLIA test showed result of 13.36 ng/mL. What supplement should I start and for how long? Also my iron is 41.2. Do I need a supplement?  Read Full »

Why is genital herpes recurring?

Query: Hi doctor, Why do I get recurrence of genital herpes as soon as I stop antiviral drugs?  Read Full »