Q. I feel weak and bleeding for the past 15 days with low WBC and Hb. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

I have weakness and bleeding for the last 15 days. I have small rashes on the body, weight loss, low energy level, and WBC parameters not normal. Patient has a history of having low hemoglobin ever three years. He has to take blood and hemoglobin parameters keep changing sometimes it is 5 sometimes it is 18.

In the last month we did hemoglobin test four times without any treatment it keeps on changing 7, 9, and 11. I have done colonoscopy many times but nothing is visible in any of the test since years. I have dry ulcer in the chest, minor heart attacks in the last one year. I have right hand vibration and indigestion.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have read your question and below is my opinion about your asked question. In your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), hemoglobin level is low, and red blood cell count also low. So you are having anemia problem and your weakness like complain could be due to that. The cause for anemia should be searched and treatment done accordingly.

Investigate as follow for anemia:

1. HB electrophoresis to rule out hemoglobinopathy.

2. Serum bilirubin, LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase), urine hemoglobin to rule out hemolytic anemia.

3. Stool occult blood test to rule out the presence of gastrointestinal bleeding.

Meanwhile, for low hemoglobin, iron supplements should be given like Ferrous ascorbate. Take green leafy vegetables and fruits more. Take iron rich foods more like beans, jaggery, boiled red meat, spinach, etc., to increase hemoglobin. You can consult nearby physician for detailed evaluation.

| 

Is it any possibility of having leukemia?

Hematology Pathology
#

In the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your total WBC (white blood cells) count are within the limit. In the peripheral smear examination report as well, WBC cell morphology is normal and no abnormal cells detected. So it does not seem to be leukemia.

|