Q. My transferrin saturation, and iron levels are low but hemoglobin is fine. What should I do?

I have psoriasis for a long time for which I have been taking Methotrexate. Last week I got my iron studies and blood test done. My transferrin saturation, and total iron levels are low but hemoglobin is fine. Kindly advice.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Hematology Pathology
#

Your transferrin saturation and iron level are mildly decreased, and your hemoglobin level is normal. So you do not have iron deficiency anemia, but it can be an early sign of iron deficiency. You need to investigate with serum ferritin level because that indicates iron storage level. You need to take iron-rich foods like red meat, beans, pumpkin seeds, and green leafy vegetables, etc. There is no need for taking an iron tablet as hemoglobin level is within the limit. I hope this will help you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

| 

How to treat iron deficiency anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 13 years old. She is having moderate to severe stomach pain for a year. We thought that it was related to constipation. After a few weeks, my daughter started to have a headache, feeling of dizziness, and shortness of breath. She had a habit of eating ice all the time. Her...  Read Full »

Why am I having low hemoglobin and what should I do?

Query: Hello doctor,My hemoglobin is 6.2 and I feel very weak from inside my left chest. My reports are normal ECG, sugar, vitamin B12, X-ray, everything is normal. Why my blood is getting low and what should I do? I am a male aged 63 years.  Read Full »

From my scan report, can you tell me if I can conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old and married for 4 years now. I am 5.2 and obese. This is my scan report. Can you please tell me if I can conceive this month? I previously had PCOS. Currently, I am using ayurveda medicines. I heard that delayed ovulation rupture does not cause pregnancy. Also, my hus...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now