Q. My transferrin saturation, and iron levels are low but hemoglobin is fine. What should I do?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I have psoriasis for a long time for which I have been taking Methotrexate. Last week I got my iron studies and blood test done. My transferrin saturation, and total iron levels are low but hemoglobin is fine. Kindly advice.

#

Your transferrin saturation and iron level are mildly decreased, and your hemoglobin level is normal. So you do not have iron deficiency anemia, but it can be an early sign of iron deficiency. You need to investigate with serum ferritin level because that indicates iron storage level. You need to take iron-rich foods like red meat, beans, pumpkin seeds, and green leafy vegetables, etc. There is no need for taking an iron tablet as hemoglobin level is within the limit. I hope this will help you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|