Q. Is there a chance of having persistent back muscle pain from running?

I ran 10 kilometers and when I arrived home, I had a terrible back muscle pain. Next two days, I was better. So, I ran for another 10 kilometers but, this time when I arrived home, it was even worse. There was a shoulder pain, and dorsal muscle back pain when I was walking. Then, it was very hard for me to move, to walk more than one km, and I felt very tired after some walk. Also, when I take a deep breath, I could feel my back muscles in pain. There was a slight muscle pain on the right side of the back in a specific point on the middle side near the spine. I did MRI, chest X-ray, cardio-echography, ENG, and EMG test, and also done a series of blood tests for the rare infections and virus. They found a sign of unknown infection. The leucocyte level was high and after a few days, it became normalized. I also saw a neurologist and he told me that everything is fine from his point of view. In MRI, there were minor changes on the dorsal side of the back, but there was no nerve damage or joint damage. The immunological test and the other results also came negative. This happened two months back and still, I feel weak and have muscle pain in my back, especially when I am doing slight activities. Is there any chance to have persistent muscle back pain from running? I am taking Magnesium, Calcium, Cerebinox, and Propanolol tablets. I had no issues like this before.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Post-exhaustion muscle necrosis is a known entity which occurs when the blood supply to the muscle is compromised during the exercise period. It is usually documented by demonstrating the high levels of LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase) test and CPK (creatine phosphokinase) in the blood. The conditions will recover slowly until the damaged muscle fibers recover and may take months. You need to restart slowly by exercising so that the muscles will adapt properly in a graded manner. I believe your vitamin D and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels are normal, if not done, do the tests and hopefully, you will recover soon.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

| 

The vitamin D and TSH are at the normal levels. I have days when I feel better but today, the pain is the worst. I hope that this is not a case of fibromyalgia or other severe issues.

#

Fibromyalgia usually manifests as pain for more than three months involving both upper and lower body parts with specific tender points. In your case, it does not fit and it is not serious as your investigations are normal, so just relax and first believe that everything is normal.

| 

Related Video

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now