Q. I feel worried after receiving my blood report. Please advise what to do.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

Recently, I had a blood test. The report shows, TSH is 14.2, cardiac risk factor 7.1, high cholesterol and low iron and hemoglobin. At the same time, I have periods for the last 20 days. So, I had Destrogen twice a day. Now, I am taking Iron, Calcium and cholesterol tablets after dinner. I am getting hot flashes and I am suddenly feeling very confused. My ECG shows palpitation. Please advise me what to do. I am a single, 48 years old working woman with kids.

#

First, do not worry as everything is very well treatable.

• Regarding your thyroid, were you a known hypothyroid or just now detected? If you are a known case and on 100 ug since long, then dose needs to be increased to 112.5 as TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is more than 5. If you are just diagnosed, then the dose is high, to begin. So let me know the situation.
  • For your high cholesterol, you continue cholesterol medicine and along with that needs a healthy lifestyle to maintain it.
  • Weight loss should be achieved. You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly with home BP apparatus. BP should not be persistently more than 140/90 mmHg.
  • Do regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week and avoid meat.
  • There should not be abdominal fat deposition or obesity. Repeat lipid profile after three months and get sugar tested both fasting and post lunch if not tested.
  • The reason for your palpitations is low hemoglobin, and it will stop after hemoglobin is corrected. You should keep a gap of 2 hours between iron and calcium supplements.
  • Do yoga, meditation, etc. Overall, there is no need to worry.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

In the last two years, I have taken thyroid 75 mcg, and now I am on 100 mcg. Moreover, I am taking Destrogen 5 mg for prolonged periods daily once. Also, I am on B-complex.

#

• Thyroid should have been increased by 12.5 as you are having palpitations. It is also fine, and you should check your TSH after six weeks to see whether the dose is appropriate or not.
  • Rest you should continue the treatment and advice in previous discussion. Continue Iron supplements as well and do some yoga and meditation.

|