Q. Why there is a constant low level of iron in a 3-year-old child?

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Child aged 3 years. Iron level is 26 continuously since when he was 5 months old. Even though taking various iron supplements since first diagnosed at 5 months. Huge problems are sleeping, itchy skin, and mood swings. Nobody can tell me what is wrong? Is this all related?

Do you have a question on Low Iron or Baby Care?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Laurent Hiffler

MD (FR)., DES PAEDIATRICS (FR)., DIPLOMA IN FOOD, HEALTH AND MICRONUTRITION., DIPLOMA IN HYGIENE AND TROP
Paediatrics

I would be very dishonest to give you a miraculous answer after a two sentences question about something that seems going on for more than two years. Full clinical examination, growth monitoring, blood test (is iron? or ferritin?) vitamin B, immune system, need to have some details regarding his diet, his symptoms, past test, etc.

According to the past digestive and hematologist specialists we have seen, they say my son's diet is fine. Although he does not eat large amounts, only small. He has a bundle of energy but is extremely tired after activities, to the point where he needs to rest or sleep. Since the day he was born, he has not slept through the night. He finds it very difficult to fall asleep, and then he wakes every hour.

He mostly wakes hysterical at least once during the night although it has been twice during the night hysterical lately where it looks like he is still sleeping his eyes are open, this is on top of waking each hour also. He is prone to sudden yet dramatic mood changes. He also catches colds, coughs, fevers more than what seems reasonable. I have attached the past three blood tests we have had done for your view.

Dr. Laurent Hiffler

Paediatrics

Although you say diet is fine, a small amount would it be possible to do a sort of weekly report of what is he eating? Does he have any other behavioral problems such as chewing his mattress or something else? What is, is growth like? (curve from birth weight and height)I would be interested to know more about these. Nevertheless, I suppose that his vitamin D level has been now corrected or is on a fair amount of daily vitamin D (cholecalciferol) as one would like his level to be at least above 40.

Similarly, the iron and ferritin level is low and although went up a bit dropped back on march tests. How long was he treated for? The most likely is an iron deficiency, and that could explain parts of his nights symptoms and dry skin. But since he has not been responding well to iron therapy (I assume), I would suggest you discuss with your doctor to test Hepcidin levels (in acquired iron deficiency it should be low in genetic form rare it is normal or elevated). This is rare but worth checking.

In conclusion, for now, I would recommend testing hepcidin level, give regular vitamin D, support omega 3 (fish oil) magnesium, avoid sugars (too much) give more protein in morning breakfast and slow carbohydrate evening time. Finally, I can see that some anti-gliadin antibodies are positive on the march test. If you have never tried, it is worth trying a gluten-free diet for at least a month and sees what happens.

Check blood hepcidin level.

Acquired iron deficiency anemia, gentic iron deficincy anemia, gluten intolerance, and multifactorial nutritional causes

Difficult still.

Await hepcidin level (as if normal elevated might need iron injections rather per os). Regular vitamin D, fish oil, magnesium, one month trial of a gluten-free diet.

Avoid sugars, sodas, diet balance should provide most proteins in morning breakfast and a bit lunch less at night. More slow carbohydrate at night.

Also Read Answers From: Low Iron Baby Care

What is the reason for constant crying and improper sleep in a 1-month-old baby?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having a 1-month-old baby and been facing several issues. He is crying a lot even after feeding him properly, burping him, checking his diaper, making him comfortable and ruling out other health issues and having a hard time in consoling him. We have tried pacifiers for him but avoi...  Read Full »
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems you are taking excellent care of the child. Good. Now for your queries. Children below the age of 6 months sleep in the day and stay awake at night. It is normal. There is no medicine for the same. As regards to consoling a baby, you can use...  Read Full »

Is there any harm to 3 months old baby due to a mobile tower?
Query: Hello doctor, We are living in a building. It has four floors. We are on the third floor. There is a mobile tower on the roof. Is there any harm to the baby and us due to the tower? Please advise us if there is any harm, then what to do? The baby is three months old.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, it is said that radiations from the mobile tower are not carcinogenic. However, there is no proof for that. This statement is based on research. Currently, there are no guidelines stating that one should stay away from mobile tower radiations, so there is noth...  Read Full »

Why is my daughter's hemoglobin level low?
Query: Hi doctor, My 3 years old daughter is diabetic since 1.5 years of age and she is also anemic. Sugar is not much a concern. Recently, we got her blood test done and her hemoglobin is 10 and serum ferritin is 1.71. I have given her Iron supplement for over eight months now. Since then, this is her thi...  Read Full »
Dr. Sirisha
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anemia can have many causes. Iron deficiency is one of them and very common. There can be other causes, which require some other investigations like peripheral smear and vitamin B12 levels. But, low ferritin points towards low iron as the cause. If she ever required a blo...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now