Q. My daughter is suffering from severe stomach pain. Could it be due to iron deficiency anemia?

Dr. Smrita Singh

My daughter is 13 years old. She is having moderate to severe stomach pain for a year. We thought that it was related to constipation. After a few weeks, my daughter started to have a headache, feeling of dizziness, and shortness of breath. She had a habit of eating ice all the time. Her stomach pain got increased day by day. I took her to an urgent care. They did an iron deficiency panel. Can it be an iron deficiency anemia? Can I give her an iron supplement? Does her body is unable to convert iron to ferritin? Please help.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through the attached blood test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your daughter's serum ferritin is low which reflects the low iron stores. Her hemoglobin is low. Her low ferritin levels support it. Her TIBC (total iron binding capacity) is high, and it is commonly seen in iron deficiency anemia. But her serum iron levels are not consistent with iron deficiency anemia. Her transferrin saturation of 66 % suggests an iron overload.

A transferrin saturation of less than 20 % indicates iron deficiency, while transferrin saturation of more than 50 % suggests iron overload. Higher transferrin saturation values are found in high iron status, such as megaloblastic anemia, sideroblastic anemia, and iron overload status. She needs a detailed hematological workup, and she should avoid taking iron pills. You are correct in your thinking. Her iron is being absorbed, but it is not adequately processed and utilized by the body. The underlying cause is needed to be determined soon and treated accordingly.

| 

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

What is the maximum iron intake for a man?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, who is 1.8 m tall, and I weigh 106 kg. I have a problem recently. I went to a dentist for an abscess, and I had blood a bit removed, so I felt a bit weak. And finally some days after, I felt I needed iron supplements. I took one 100 mg and then took another 100...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now