Q. I have been on prozac for 6 months and I have such low libido now. Can I just stop and will it go back to the way it was?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am an 18 year old male, and I have been taking Prozac for probably 6 months, which has made my libido very low. Will it go back to the way it was if I stop the medicine?

#

I understand that Prozac (Fluoxetine) is a known cause of low libido and this might be a single or contributory cause in your decreased libido. In my view, solutions to your problem are:

1. If your problem for which you started Prozac was of short duration, then you can talk to your psychiatrist about discontinuing it. You are advised not to stop it all of a sudden. It should be discontinued very slowly.
  2. If your problem for which you started taking Prozac is still existing, then you have three options to consider. Reduce the dose. Change to some other drug of the similar kind. Add-on therapy with other drugs that reverse this side effects.

|