Q. My wife is 28 weeks pregnant with low lying placenta. Can she make a flight journey?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

We are in London. We want to get home to Singapore. My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I have been told that she should not fly because her placenta is low lying and close to the os. Are we basically stuck in London now? Is there no way that she could endure the flight home?

She is currently on Metformin 1500 mg.

#

I fully understand your problem and will surely help you. See the majority of the airlines are reluctant to fly pregnant ladies however, the rule varies from airline to airline. One thing is there, that the best guide is your gynecologist whom you have been visiting. He or she based upon the complexity of the pregnancy may or may not issue a fit to fly certificate.

But even if you get a fit to fly certificate the airlines may use their discretion. However, I will recommend you to go for a direct flight with extra leg space and use wheelchair to transfer your wife within the airport and outside. Take a lot of fluids, she must not get involved in packing stuff, etc. I can also give you an honest opinion if you can share the details and reports.

|