Q. My platelet count is abnormally low after a week of fever. Could it be something serious?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I am 57 years old. I have a persistent low-grade fever for a week. At the end of the week, I did not have a fever. We did a blood test and it showed me a low platelet count of 127 thousand/microliter. Before six months, I did a blood test and it showed me a platelet count of 166 thousand/microliter. During my fever, I did not have any other symptoms such as cough, throat pain, runny nose, and breathing problems. I am worried about my abnormal platelet count.

#

It is good to hear that your fever has got subsided. Low platelet count is referred to as thrombocytopenia. Your count is 1,27,000 /mm3 and it falls under mild range (normal range: 1,00,000/mm3 to 1,50,000/mm3). It can occur due to multiple reasons. It can occur due to laboratory error or pseudo-thrombocytopenia due to usage of EDTA (ethylenediaminetetracetic acid) anticoagulant. Low platelet count is considered to be a serious issue when it occurs in association with bleeding symptoms like bruising, petechial rash, and gum bleeding. You do not have any of these symptoms. You can recheck your platelet count after few days. I can assure you that your current health status is safe and good.

|