Q. There is a drastic decrease in my platelet count in the last five months. Why?

Published on Mar 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My hemoglobin level increased from 15 to 17, and platelet count decreased from 3.1 to 1.4 lakhs in the last five months. The only symptom I have is occasional skin itching.

Hematology Pathology
#

• As your platelet count decreased over four months duration, chronic infection and drug history have to be ruled out first.
  • If they are not causative then a detailed investigation plan should be decided according to the examinations as follows:
  1. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) or CRP (C-reactive protein).
  2. Blood culture.
  3. Alcohol history.
  4. Peripheral smear examination.
  5. Renal profiles as uremia might lead decreased platelet count.
  • According to the cause, further specific treatment will be given. Hence, first consult your physician for examination and get your liver and spleen examined by the doctor. Then, get a proper workup planned according to the need. Take care.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What does high hs-CRP indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, Eight months back my hs-CRP level was 3.86 mg/L and CRP was 0.24 mg/dl. One month later hs-CRP was tested again and it was 0.4 mg/dL. My ESR also seems to be higher along with lipoprotein. Please advise the treatment. Is there any further investigation for high hs-CRP. What high hs-CRP ...  Read Full »

My hs-CRP is high. Am I in danger?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently did a complete blood test. In the report, it was detected hs-CRP 3.8 mg. My age is 36, and my weight is 103 kg. Please advise how it can be lowered and do am in danger zone.  Read Full »

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now