Q. Is low platelet a sign of dengue?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

My father has nagging dry cough for about one month. Our physician has doubted it as allergic bronchitis and the x-ray also justifies the same. As per today, his platelet count is 125000. Is there anything to worry? Or is this a sign of dengue? Myself and my brother have just recovered from dengue. However, my father does not have a fever. Currently, he is on Nebicard 2.5 for BP, Daztor for triglyceride, Bro-Zedex and Montair LC.

#

• For dengue, the first and the foremost thing to be present is fever. Dengue is not diagnosed only on the basis of platelet count.
  • Also, mild thrombocytopenia (low platelet) is common in older adults.
  • All you have to check is the trend of platelet count whether it is decreasing or constant over the next few days. If constant, then it is fine.
  • For cough, the treatment is fine. I suggest gargling and steam inhalation as that helps a lot.
  • Get a sputum examination done for gram stain and AFB, if he produces sputum later.

Get platelet count done after two days and four days.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is there anything to worry?

#

• No, there is nothing to worry. Watch the platelet trend and remember there is no possibility of dengue without fever.
  • There are many causes of thrombocytopenia. But, as his other cell counts are normal, he would not be harboring any serious disease.
  • There is no need to panic. Get the tests done and let the medication work.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|