Q. How to improve my testosterone level?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 25 years old. My total testosterone was low. It was 400 ng/dL. This was on last Friday after a very intense week with insufficient sleep and no exercise. My question is, am I stuck with this? How can I improve this to any value within the normal range?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I have read and understood your problem. However, I would like you to answer few questions so that I can help you better.

• Why did you do the test? Do you have any sexual or infertility problem? Male testosterone levels (T level) usually range between 250 ng/dL and 850 ng/dL.
  • Your lab may have different reference values. Your T level is within normal range only.
  • If you want further evaluation then you need to do blood test which includes Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total count), DC (differential count), fasting sugar, prolactin, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and LH (luteinizing hormone).
  • Exercise also can improve T levels.

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to an andrologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

| 

I do not have any sexual problem. But, I am not sure about my fertility. My height is 187 cm and weight is 73 kg. I never did the test before. I basically got bored of my girlfriend and thought the sexual disinterest was routed deeper than mere boredom. Moreover, morning erections were infrequent. Shortly after the breakup and with new girls I had morning erections and high sexual appetite. In recent weeks, I have had an average of 5 hours of sleep with little to no exercise. My morning erections have gone from daily to non-existent. I closely monitor my sexual health and thus the range of 400 to me feels like below average. I have attached the values of the test. Can my values fluctuate between 400 and 600 in a month? Is that possible? What kind of potential improvements can I realistically expect through diet, exercise and 8 hours of sleep in a short duration?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• Your weight is fine. Your loss of interest may be due to stress or anxiety. I will be able to prescribe medicine to reduce stress and develop interest.
  • Your T levels are absolutely normal. If you take external T then it will suppress your sperm count.
  • Instead of worrying about T you do blood test which includes Hb, TC, DC, fasting sugar, prolactin and TSH only to see if other hormone is involved.
  • By good diet and exercise it may or may not change in a month, because it is normal. A research for your reference confirms that yours is normal.
  • Values of T fluctuate even in a day.
  • Plasma testosterone (T) levels were assayed in a group of healthy males. The diurnal variations for testosterone was found the highest mean plasma levels at 4 AM 928 ± 117 ng/dL and the lowest mean levels at 8 PM 266 ± 52 ng/dL.

For further information consult an andrologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

|