Q. Can vision problems be caused due to genetic issues?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I have a problem in both my eyes, low vision, and the doctor says that it is genetic but I feel the problem for the last two years and I work in computer and also the doctor said that the problem has no medicine or surgery. So, please help what I should do and computer operation is more harmful to my eyes.

#

I have gone through your attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The doctors feel that you could be suffering from a problem of your retina. They are currently unsure about the exact type of disease and have asked you to get a test called the EOG (electrooculogram) done to identify the exact cause.

You see, the test you had done with a few wires attached to your face while looking at lights on a white bowl in front of you (ERG), has yielded abnormal results. This puts the site of the defect in your retina, thus the possibility of it being genetic. Such a picture cannot be caused by computer use, it is usually inherited by birth. The next course of action would be to find out the exact cause, by the EOG test. Once the cause is known for sure the exact prognosis and long term outcome can be known.

If unfortunately by chance it does turn out to be retinal dystrophy, the vision outcomes over a lifetime are very bad. But there is no way to predict the prognosis. There is although extensive research going on for the treatment of such diseases, given that you are still young, there is some hope that such inventions will be made in your lifetime.

|