Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My pap test is abnormal with brown discharge. Why?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have had abnormal pap tests for the past four years. Now I am having really thick light brown mucus discharge almost daily. The last one this morning was bigger than a quarter. What could this be?

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

I understand your concern. At the age of 29 years, I would want to know what the abnormality in PAP smear was? I hope it is LSIL (low-grade squamous intra epithelial lesion) or ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) or only mild dysplasia. Any of these findings are suggestive of only some infection in the cervix creating some changes in the lining of the cervical canal. This only warrants follow up and repeated PAP smear evaluation. These infections on the cervix can cause small ulcerations, which would appear like a raw wound. Once the raw surface if formed, the secretions from the underlying cervix increases. Just like in common cold secretion from the nostrils increase, cervical secretions also increase.

The sudden appearance of excessive brown discharge can follow any local insult like recent sex, or recent periods or local trauma by a tampon or even urinary infection. But it is not to be worried about. If it is been a year since last PAP smear or at least six months have a repeated smear. You may need local antibiotic treatment.

If the cervical erosion is significant and the abnormality you are experiencing in PAP is more than what I mentioned, then you may need excision of the ulcer with cryotherapy or electrotherapy or chemical. But at this young age of 29 years and as the doctor has put you follow up for four years, I bet you belong to low-risk stage. Nothing to worry about. Just simple treatment of local medication will do.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why am I bleeding for the past 16 days?
What are the causes of swollen ankles and legs?
I am having brown discharge after sex. Why?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My biopsy report shows low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,My doctor did a biopsy and the result showed a low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL). Acute inflammation and associated reactive change are also noted. Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Why was there blood during first sexual contact?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiance was fingering me and when he finished, his hand was bloody. When I pee it burns and now it just hurts. What should I do? Never had a PAP test for discussable reasons. Never had sexual activity before.  Read Full »

I am having reddish brown discharge with irregular periods. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am concerned about my health, I have not had a regular period in almost three months. I have been having brown, reddish discharge but I am most certain that I am not pregnant because I have not had intercourse since two years ago, my stomach has been hurting and I have gained weight...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.