Q. My pap test is abnormal with brown discharge. Why?

I have had abnormal pap tests for the past four years. Now I am having really thick light brown mucus discharge almost daily. The last one this morning was bigger than a quarter. What could this be?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I understand your concern. At the age of 29 years, I would want to know what the abnormality in PAP smear was? I hope it is LSIL (low-grade squamous intra epithelial lesion) or ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) or only mild dysplasia. Any of these findings are suggestive of only some infection in the cervix creating some changes in the lining of the cervical canal. This only warrants follow up and repeated PAP smear evaluation. These infections on the cervix can cause small ulcerations, which would appear like a raw wound. Once the raw surface if formed, the secretions from the underlying cervix increases. Just like in common cold secretion from the nostrils increase, cervical secretions also increase.

The sudden appearance of excessive brown discharge can follow any local insult like recent sex, or recent periods or local trauma by a tampon or even urinary infection. But it is not to be worried about. If it is been a year since last PAP smear or at least six months have a repeated smear. You may need local antibiotic treatment.

If the cervical erosion is significant and the abnormality you are experiencing in PAP is more than what I mentioned, then you may need excision of the ulcer with cryotherapy or electrotherapy or chemical. But at this young age of 29 years and as the doctor has put you follow up for four years, I bet you belong to low-risk stage. Nothing to worry about. Just simple treatment of local medication will do.

|