Q. I have lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration. Which is the best the non-surgical treatment?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Published on Dec 25, 2018

I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scoliosis, disc dehydration and small central disc protrusion are seen at L3 to L4 level, disc dehydration and left paracentral disc extrusion are seen at L4 to L5 level with moderate central canal stenosis, disc dehydration and central disc protrusion are seen at L5 to S1 level with lateral recess stenosis and S1 nerve root impression. Please advice the best treatment option according to my situation, preferably non-surgery option.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Your MRI report shows evidence of wear and tear of the lumbar disc with some pressure on the nerves (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is difficult to suggest the treatment without examining you in person. However, generally speaking, it is possible to treat lumbar disc disease without surgery with medication and physiotherapy. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please share further details regarding non-surgery treatment? What kind of medication and physiotherapy can treat the lumbar disc disease or what about chiropractic treatment? Although most of the surgeons tend to recommend the surgery, I am really looking forward to findingproper treatment without surgery.

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

#

Medicines and correct physiotherapy exercises can be recommended only after examining you. Generally, good back and core strengthening exercises are recommended but they need to be modified on an individual patient basis. Chiropractic treatment is usually not recommended by me for lumbar disc herniation. Most of the times lumbar disc problems can be treated with medications and physiotherapy. Sometimes when these are not successful, surgery is recommended.

What can be done for lower back muscle spasms due to playing baseball?

Query: Hi doctor, I am coming here for what I think may be possible lower back muscle spasms. I originally felt the pain after playing lots of baseballs (swinging a baseball bat many times). I have symptoms such as tightness, limited mobility or restricted range of motion, throbbing pain, and sometimes it...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. I feel that spasm could be due to less core stability and excessive spasm. Invariable loading hip joint reducing its range on movement. I would like to suggest you get more insight of your symptoms like is there any pain on bending forward touching...  Read Full

I have lower back pain and inward curvature of spine. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two years, I have experienced lower back pain coupled with what I think to be an abnormal inward curvature of my spine. I recently went to a pediatrician and the doctor brushed it off saying there is nothing wrong with my spine. No one believes me even though I have showe...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tanushree Agarwal(pt)
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of your back pain is overactive erector spine muscles. These muscles support the back in all the activities. Due to a reduction in their flexibility, they are not able to take up high impact activities like running or jumping, while the low impact activities l...  Read Full

Can you look at my MRI and explain the reason for burning pain in feet?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a problem with my feet now for four years. About four years ago, I had some burning pain in feet. I cannot stand for more than 15 minutes or the pain gets very bad. Four years ago, I also had really bad pain in my legs after standing all day. That has diminished and now I stil...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry that you have had this pain for the past four years. From what you have written, I find that you have problem with feet for four years, burning pain on the bottom of feet and you cannot stand for more than 15 minutes. Your MRI report (attachment removed to p...  Read Full