Q. I have lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration. Which is the best the non-surgical treatment?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scoliosis, disc dehydration and small central disc protrusion are seen at L3 to L4 level, disc dehydration and left paracentral disc extrusion are seen at L4 to L5 level with moderate central canal stenosis, disc dehydration and central disc protrusion are seen at L5 to S1 level with lateral recess stenosis and S1 nerve root impression. Please advice the best treatment option according to my situation, preferably non-surgery option.

#

Your MRI report shows evidence of wear and tear of the lumbar disc with some pressure on the nerves (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is difficult to suggest the treatment without examining you in person. However, generally speaking, it is possible to treat lumbar disc disease without surgery with medication and physiotherapy. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please share further details regarding non-surgery treatment? What kind of medication and physiotherapy can treat the lumbar disc disease or what about chiropractic treatment? Although most of the surgeons tend to recommend the surgery, I am really looking forward to findingproper treatment without surgery.

#

Medicines and correct physiotherapy exercises can be recommended only after examining you. Generally, good back and core strengthening exercises are recommended but they need to be modified on an individual patient basis. Chiropractic treatment is usually not recommended by me for lumbar disc herniation. Most of the times lumbar disc problems can be treated with medications and physiotherapy. Sometimes when these are not successful, surgery is recommended.

|