Q. Can you look at my MRI and explain the reason for burning pain in feet?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Apr 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have had a problem with my feet now for four years. About four years ago, I had some burning pain in feet. I cannot stand for more than 15 minutes or the pain gets very bad. Four years ago, I also had really bad pain in my legs after standing all day. That has diminished and now I still have the pain in the bottom of my feet. I have seen a million doctors for this and no one has an answer for me. I have narcolepsy. My neurologist asked me to get an MRI of brain and lower back and said everything looks fine. Actually, she is a sleep specialist. So, I need a second opinion for my MRI report. My regular medication includes Xyrem, Zoloft and Nexium. I also think I have an issue with my upper spine as I am having pain in my neck. I think the pain is due to pinched nerve since moving my head in one direction hurt pretty bad and a few days later the pain would go away. This happened a lot in the past and I just ignored it as it goes away in a few days. Can you look at my MRI? Thank you.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I am sorry that you have had this pain for the past four years. From what you have written, I find that you have problem with feet for four years, burning pain on the bottom of feet and you cannot stand for more than 15 minutes.

Your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) findings are as follows:

1. Lumbar lordosis is diminished with a narrow spinal canal suggestive of congenital spinal canal stenosis.
  2. L4-L5: Mild spinal canal with patent neural foramina related to diffuse posterior disc bulge and facet hypertrophy.
  3. L5-S1: Mild spinal canal and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis secondary to diffuse posterior disc bulge and facet hypertrophy.

Based on these, the pain in your feet can be due to two possibilities. Peripheral neuropathy, probably due to diabetes or due to Sodium oxybate (Xyrem) or compression of nerves in the spinal column.

The diagnosis can be fixed by clinical examination of motor, power and sensory system and reflexes followed by nerve conduction study. This will tell whether the problem is in the nerves of your legs and feet or whether the problem is in the spinal cord.

You may also need to do a glucose tolerance test to rule out diabetes. Even though, Oxybate can cause peripheral neuropathy, diabetes is a more common cause.

I would suggest that you at least evaluate your blood glucose levels, so that we can start treatment for the pain.

1. Peripheral neuropathy, probably due to diabetes or due to Sodium oxybate (Xyrem).
2. Compression of nerves in the spinal column.

1. Clinical Examination of motor, power and sensory system and reflexes.
2. Nerve conduction study.
3. Glucose tolerance test.

Revert back with the investigation tests to a neuro surgeon online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full »

When I start walking, the portion below the knee is numb. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 44 years old. From the last one month, I have problems with my legs, especially my left leg, when I get out of my bed or chair and start walking, the portion below the knee is sleeping (numb), sometimes it happens in the right leg as well, but most of the time in my left leg. I w...  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now