Q. I have a BB sized lump where my preauricular node is. What are the possibilities?

Answered by Dr. Shyam Kalyan N and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Lump In Neck or Cancer? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: I have a BB sized lump where my preauricular node is.  What are the possibilities?

I have a BB sized lump where my preauricular lymph node is, right outside my right ear. My dermatologist, who is treating me for melanoma in situ, is sending me to an ENT this week to check it out, but said melanoma in situ cannot spread. I have no other symptoms. It is not tender and he described it as rubbery and movable.

I discovered it a few weeks ago incidentally because my jaw hurt a little one day, so who knows how long it has been there. It has not changed in the two to three weeks I have known about it. What are the possible things it could be (your differential)? Should I have it biopsied, and does it sound like cancer?