Q. I have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck from six months. Do I need a biopsy?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am considering pursuing a second opinion about some palpable lymph nodes that have been present in my neck for approximately six months now. There is a total of eight of them, present on both sides of the neck. These are all cervical lymph nodes, with the exception of one, which is submental. I have seen my physician about this, and subsequently an ENT. I have had ultrasounds of the nodes done on two separate occasions over a period of two months, as well as two CBCs to check for anything in the blood. Thus far, everything has come back normal. The first report reads: palpable foci correspond to normal-appearing lymph nodes. The second report reads: Palpable areas of concern all correspond to benign-appearing lymph nodes. No pathologically enlarged nodes are seen. None of the lymph nodes are larger than 0.7 cm. So, technically they are not enlarged, and bloodwork is normal. Therefore, my doctors have told me I do not need to worry about anything like lymphoma for now, and that a biopsy is not necessary.

However, my concerns are that, even though the lymph nodes have not changed much over the last six months, none of the nodes have gone away at all. And, I have received no explanation for the cause of the palpable nodes. Secondly, I have been using Humira to treat my Crohn's disease, which I am aware carries an increased risk for lymphoma. I have not had any other significant symptoms like fever, weight loss, or night sweats.Therefore, my question is, should I push harder to get a biopsy of the most prominent lymph node to rule out lymphoma for sure? And, should I seek a second opinion about all of this? I just cannot put my mind at ease, and I feel as though my concerns are being dismissed after the examinations, ultrasounds, and blood tests. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

#

• Any lymph node that is smaller than 1 cm is not significant, but multiple palpable lymph nodes should be investigated.
  • In my opinion, you should get a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) done from the lymph nodes to rule out any infection or malignancy.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|