Q. What is the chance of survival in stage 4 lung cancer?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

What are the chances of survival in the 4th stage lung tumor? Is there any specific suggestion for the cure? The patient had biopsy and bronchoscopy. The doctors suggest us to wait for biopsy report before any further medication.

#

• When the patient has been diagnosed to have stage 4 lung cancer, the survival depends on lots of factors.
  • They are co-morbidities such as diabetes and hypertension, performance status whether he is abe to walk around and do his activities or he is confined to bed, the extent of metastasis detected on other scans such as ultrasound abdomen and bone scan.
  • In general, it is about 30% survival at the end of 2 years but maybe even more than 50% if the above factors are positive.
  • The cure is not possible, but his symptoms can be reduced with chemotherapy after the biopsy report comes.
  • If the biopsy comes as adenocarcinoma and EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) mutation is positive, he may be able to avoid chemotherapy and use only a tablet, which will reduce the side effects associated with chemotherapy.

For further information consult a radiation oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiation-oncologist

|