Q. Chest X-ray showed a single nodule. Is a biopsy required to rule out cancer?

Dr. Chandra Shekhar

I am a 30-year-old female.The initial illness began early this year. The symptoms were cough, SOB, chest pain, and wheezing. I was treated for pneumonia but never got better. Repeated X-rays showed adenopathy as a possibility. So, a CT scan was done which showed hilar, mediastinal adenopathy and a single pulmonary nodule of 1.2 cm along with some hypodense lesions on the spleen. A biopsy was done on the lung tissue and on the endobronchial mass but not on the lymph nodes or nodule. There was no fungal, bacterial or viral cause isolated. I have been largely asymptomatic since then with an exception of some chest pain. I went in for a follow-up CT scan last week. There is still hilar, mediastinal adenopathy and now pre-tracheal aortopulmonary adenopathy along with the nodule. But, the size is the same. The doctor wants a CT scan in four months and thinks this could be the result of a fungal infection but he is not sure. I am wondering if a biopsy of the actual nodes or nodule would be necessary to rule out cancer. I am so concerned and the thought of waiting four months is devastating. I am a former smoker for five years. I take Lexapro, Adderall, and Microgestin.

Do you have a question on Lung Nodules or Fungal Infection?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Chandra Shekhar

MBBS., MD
Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

I went through your history.

• There are two clinching things. One is a pulmonary nodule and other is mediastinal adenopathy.
  1. For pulmonary nodule of 1.2 cm, it can be due to a number of reasons. But, if it is not enlarging in size it is most probably benign. Just get a simple CT guided FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) properly (incorrectly taken sample gives false results).
  2. If FNAC is not showing anything, then surely it is not a lung mass. Then, you can consider a fungal infection and rather than trying to diagnose it, take a course of antifungal (not everything is ideal in medical science)
  3. For hilar lymphadenopathy, you should to an EBUS (endobronchial ultrasound) and get an FNAC of the mediastinal adenopathy. It will surely tell us everything about cancer if any.
  • The probable diagnoses are sarcoidosis, fungal infection and a benign mass in the lung (at the age of 30, there is very less chance of malignancy).

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full »
Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation and concern. You have to undergo colposcopy and if necessary biopsy too. It can be done during pregnancy and the only problem may happen is mild bleeding, which can be managed. If the lesion is mild, then it can be followed up. Moderate to ...  Read Full »

How does a cystic structure differ from a cyst?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with IV contrast. The radiologist report is as follows. The findings are as follows. There is a 0.9 cm cystic structure in the uncinate process, which is new since the comparative examination with the last year scan report. This should be further...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Cystic structure or cyst is the same thing. Actually cyst is completely surrounded by a wall while your radiologist might have seen a structure similar to cyst with ill-defined walls. Radiology is not the answer to your question. You will get your...  Read Full »

Impetigo, an Infectious Disease in Children
Article Overview: Impetigo, one of the most common skin infections among kids usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area.  Read Article »
Dr. Rushikeh Tukaram Kute
Paediatrician

Impetigo is the most common skin infection in children throughout the world. Bacteria mainly enters through break in the skin, which may allow bacteria to invade the skin. After invasion bacteria multiply in deep layers of the skin and leads to blister formation. There are two classic forms of im ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now