Q. How does a cystic structure differ from a cyst?

Published on Dec 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with IV contrast. The radiologist report is as follows. The findings are as follows. There is a 0.9 cm cystic structure in the uncinate process, which is new since the comparative examination with the last year scan report. This should be further evaluated with endoscopic ultrasound. Cavernous hemangioma in the right hepatic lobe. Cholecystectomy. Left renal cyst and angiomyolipoma. There is no adenopathy. Mild degenerative changes in the spine and hips. The impression is new cystic structure in the uncinate process of the pancreas, maybe an IPMN. Endoscopic ultrasound is recommended for further evaluation. My doctor just scheduled an endoscopy for me. I would like to get an explanation of IPMN and the percentage that it can turn malignant. I also want to understand how a cystic structure differs from a cyst. I am 55 years old. My father died of pancreatic cancer when he was 73. My mother had a pancreatic insulinoma. Are there any specific questions that I should ask my doctor during the follow-up visit after the endoscope?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• Cystic structure or cyst is the same thing. Actually cyst is completely surrounded by a wall while your radiologist might have seen a structure similar to cyst with ill-defined walls.
  • Radiology is not the answer to your question. You will get your answer from a pathologist.
  • You need an endoscopic biopsy of the cyst or cystic structure to see whether it is benign or malignant.
  • You should also go for CA 19-9 levels (tumor marker) along with serum insulin levels.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the use of Troxipide?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 year old male. I am working as a software professional. I recently had some discomfort with digestion. I had severe bloating, gas formation and a frequent sensation of motions. I went to a gastroenterologist and he made an endoscopy and endoscopic biopsy. The biopsy result is yet...  Read Full »

My dad died of multiple organ dysfunctions after a Whipple procedure. What was the cause of his death?

Query: Hi doctor,This query is regarding my dad, who was diagnosed with obstructive jaundice last year. He was admitted to a hospital, and the doctor examined my dad and told us that they need to perform a Whipple procedure on my dad. We did not ask for a second opinion, and we let them go ahead with the...  Read Full »

How can I increase iron absorption?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old woman with low iron (just above being clinically anemic). I have always eaten lots of wild red meat (moose, bison, caribou, dall sheep) and I do not seem to be absorbing enough iron. I have been taking 300 mg elemental iron supplement per day for seven months with m...  Read Full »