Q. I have a painful swollen lymph node on my right hip. Kindly explain my CT report.

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am experiencing some pain in my right hip area. I then found a lump on my right hip. I did an ultrasound and found that it is a swollen lymph node. We then ran a full CT with contrast. Can someone explain the results to me?

#

I can understand your concern. Your statement has been suffering from some pain and a lump on the right hip area. Ultrasound has shown a swollen lymph node on the right hip area. You have an inguinal lymph node too. Your CT scan has revealed a ruptured right luteal cyst.

A corpus luteum cyst is a type of ovarian cyst that may occur most frequently in women in their reproductive age. It may rupture about the time of menstruation and take up to three months to disappear completely.

Corpus luteum cyst is known as a functional cyst and usually painless and harmless. While most corpus luteum cysts do not cause symptoms, if a cyst ruptures like you, you may feel sudden pain and discomfort. They are usually benign or not cancerous and go away on their own without any medical treatment.

What is the cause of this cyst, and why did it rupture? Should I be concerned? Why is it causing a lot of pain, and what should I do to help relieve the pain?

#

Your ovary normally grows cyst-like structures called follicles each month. Follicles produce the hormones, namely estrogen, progesterone, and release an egg when you ovulate.

If usually a monthly follicle keeps growing, then it is known as a corpus luteal cyst. Fluids accumulate in the corpus luteum. It keeps growing, and if no pregnancy occurs, then the luteal cyst becomes ruptured.

In some cases, the ruptured luteal cyst may produce pain and bleeding. In most cases, it is painless and harmless. In most cases, ruptured luteal cyst will disappear within three months without developing any further complications.

|