Q. Is the transplanted bone marrow done for AITL not working correctly if the hemoglobin is still low?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2021

I hope you are doing well.

My 53-year-old brother was diagnosed with AITL four years ago. He received numerous chemotherapies and heavy steroid treatment. But nothing helped. Then he got the first stem cell transplant (autologous) three years back. Unfortunately, that was unsuccessful as he relapsed after four months, so he got an allogeneic transplant two years ago. Since then, he relies on regular blood transfusions every two to three weeks because of very low hemoglobin levels. Does that mean that the bone marrow does not work correctly?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

Thanks for your query.

As it is not a common disease, we usually follow the standard guidelines for treating patients. And your cousin has received the treatment as per the guidelines.

Regarding bone marrow transplant, if it is successful, then the disease and its symptoms should improve. But, his anemia and the need for regular blood transfusions indicate the relapse of the disease. After a bone marrow transplant, the blood group is that of transplant. The recipients' blood group disappears, and it is one of the signs of a successful transplant. As I already mentioned, persistent anemia may signify transplant failure or relapse of his lymphoma.

I hope I answered your questions.

|