Q. I often feel like falling over a cliff and I am disturbed. Kindly help.

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am not sure, but it feels like I am falling over the cliff. I live in an apartment on high floor and sometimes I am frozen and cannot move an inch feeling as if I move, I will fall out my window. Although, I am not falling in this moment, I freeze stop and cannot move. This follows me all day in this apartment and I cannot function normally. I am currently taking Luvox 75 mg.

#

Thank you for taking the help from a psychiatrist. I am not able to get your point properly, but it seems you are suffering from major depressive disorder with a phobia. There is non-pharmacological management for it. You should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it.

1. Do exercises daily for 30 - 45 minutes like at least going for a walk.

2. Do meditation for 20 minutes daily, just sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to stop your thoughts, just let it be.

3. Eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods.

4. Spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you are leaving away from your family.

5. Focus on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.

6. Take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

7. Avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.

Live your life, do not just spend it. You must continue your tablet Fluvoxamine with the above lifestyle.

I live a healthy life. I do those things, maybe not each one precisely which I guess is a ongoing process, but I live a simple life with no real problems, which is I guess connected to many of my issues maybe. But anyway, in those moments where I am at present, I cannot produce the thoughts to fight the catastrophic thoughts. It is like in my subconscious, I know it is normal but the synapses are being overwhelmed by the falling feeling, and I cannot think strong enough in that precise moment where it is all just going bad scary and dread. If you have any suggestions because this everyday feeling like I have died and falling of the cliff or out the window like in my mother’s high rise. I always have to back away to space away from the window and many times frozen and scared it is just to much. Please reply.

#

I can understand your situation, and it is really tough to deal with it. You are suffering from acrophobia and need to visit the nearest psychologist for a session of phobia. There is a medication that can help you. You are already on good medication and can take tablet Clonazepam MD 0.5 mg when you have severe anxiety or attack. It will act immediately and give instant relief from your fear at that time. It is mouth dissolving, you just need to put on your tongue and it will act within seconds. The psychologist will help you to deal with your subconscious level issue.

|