Major Depressive Disorder

What do symptoms like lack of sleep, mood swings, loss of interest, etc., indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not sure if I have depression, but I notice a lack or have a hard time sleeping. I have feelings of emptiness and guilt, change in appetite, fatigue, mood swings, suicidal thoughts at times, and losing interest in my favorite activities. Is there a way I can confirm if this is ju...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation. If you have social and functions impairment for more than two weeks, it is a major depressive disorder. If you have not any work impairment and just feeling gloomy, then it is not depression. It may be due to some temporary stress or...  Read Full »

Why do I get severe stomach problems with Sertraline?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on Sertraline 100 mg, Amitriptyline 25 mg, and Chlordiazepoxide 10 mg for 15 years. They worked well. But nowadays, I am feeling depressed and unable to sleep with the above medications. I am a writer, and now I am finding difficulty focusing and lacking the right words to...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation. You may have a major depressive disorder. There is also non-pharmacological management for your depression. You should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you. 1. Do exercises daily for 30 - 45 minutes,...  Read Full »

Why do I feel sad often?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes, I feel very sad inside. But, I do not know the reason for my sadness. During this period of sadness, I do not like to talk. I feel so depressed as I cannot do anything, including my studies? How to come out of this type of sadness? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Persistent sadness along with decreased interest in communication is an indicative of clinical minor depression. If there are more symptoms, then it can be a major depressive disorder. In case of minor depression, I suggest 5-HTPn (5-Hydroxytryptophan), which is an he...  Read Full »

My energy levels are low, and feel sad and cranky. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, Lying all day not interested in literally anything, energy levels low, feel tired without any reasons, sad, cranky and not doing any work. This happens in cycles, might work for a day and then shut off for weeks doing nothing productive and feeling stuck. Been quite a long time experi...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from major depressive disorder. You need to take medication for your disorder and be active in your life. Try to do exercise daily like just go for walk for 30 to 45 minutes, take good food avoid junk food, take good sound sleep at least 6 to 8 ...  Read Full »

How do I overcome porn addiction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am watching porn videos for the past two years. I used to watch it once in a week and now it has become addiction. My mind wants to see it. I masturbate along watching porn videos. My reading concentration is now weak . I want to get rid of watching porn videos . Friends also watch, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After going though your history, it is apparent that you are suffering from porn addiction. To overcome this, you can follow some techniques. Any addiction gives pleasure by increasing dopamine levels in the pleasure centers of your brain. You need to find some healt...  Read Full »

Please help with a non-addictive drug for sleeplessness.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61-year-old male. I am a diabetic for the past 15 years under control, hypertension for the past five years. My present problem is sleepless nights (mental tension) and using Restyle 0.5 mg. I was using it occasionally. But for the past two weeks, I am using it regularly. I am w...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation. As per your details, you are having stress which leads to sleep disturbance. You may have another depressive feature as well. I need more details about it to make a diagnosis. Do you have a sad mood, crying spells without reason, abn...  Read Full »

Why do I always feel like falling over a cliff?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not sure, but it feels like I am falling over the cliff. I live in an apartment on high floor and sometimes I am frozen and cannot move an inch feeling as if I move, I will fall out my window. Although, I am not falling in this moment, I freeze stop and cannot move. This follows...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for taking the help from a psychiatrist. I am not able to get your point properly, but it seems you are suffering from major depressive disorder with a phobia. There is non-pharmacological management for it. You should try to follow the below guidelines to...  Read Full »

Why do I get so intimidated by others?

Query: Male, 38 Years Old, Married, one child. Suffering following problems: difficult to sleep in night. always feel sleepy Memory Weak, forgets things very easily, low concentration, lethargic confusion in decision, low self esteem and low confidence, feel that i am good for nothing feels no one like...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello sir. Your symptoms are typical that are seen in major depressive disorder. It is very common and happens to about 1 in 4 males and 1 in 8 females. It happens due to reduced levels of certain neurotransmitters such as serotonin which reduce the stress handling capacity of the brain. Medicines...  Read Full »

How to treat long term cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a college student. Since last years, I feel cough all the time. Before two years, I had cold and fever and since that time I am having cough. I have consulted an ENT specialist regarding this, but nothing happened. I have attached the prescription as well. Earlier, I was able to visu...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query in detail, the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and have the following observations: Chronic cough not responding to medicines, difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment), memory problems, periods of delirium or ...  Read Full »

How to help my dad's altered behavior as he is affected by the death of his close relative?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 77 years old. He is showing the following symptoms loss of interest in reading newspaper (he was very fond of), anger, aggressiveness, and shouting. He cried a lot on the death of his brother-in-law who was 70 years old and sick, self-doubt about his health with restlessne...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father seems to have a major depressive disorder. He needs to start antidepressant medications. He can take the tablet Escitalopram 10 mg once in the morning after breakfast. If he has sleep disturbance then he needs to start tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg at night. Eve...  Read Full »